Level Up Your Burner Game
With so much of the world shifting to virtual platforms over the past year, it’s now possible to learn anything anywhere, anytime. And yes, that means there’s an online treasure trove of knowledge available to Burners — everything from training and mentoring gritty Burner skills, to learning about sustainability and Radical Inclusion, to conversations and storytelling that enrich your curious mind.
Burning Man Hive is a space for anyone who is inspired by Burning Man culture to learn, share, and connect. This free space offers more than a dozen courses created by community members and Burning Man staff.
Create a free Hive account using your Burner Profile.
Don’t have a Burner Profile yet? Create one here.
Courses in Burning Man Hive include:
- Burning Man Then and Now (history of Burning Man)
- Burning Man Art: History, Place, Context
- Introduction to Anti-Racism
- Introduction to Volunteer Leadership
- Global Activation in the Burnersphere
Learn about ways Burners are collaborating to make Black Rock City and Burning Man culture more sustainable.
Sustainability Initiatives on the Road to Black Rock City shares what Burning Man Project is doing, and what Burners can do, to make Black Rock City more sustainable.
Sustainability projects underway at Burning Man Project include:
- The 2030 Environmental Sustainability Roadmap sets a 10-year timeline and targets for Black Rock City to sustainably manage waste, become carbon negative, and ecologically regenerative.
- Year Two Sustainability Update looks at where we’ve come as a community and organization two years into the Environmental Sustainability Roadmap.
- The Green Theme Camp Summit gathered Theme Camp Organizers to explore and discuss how they can help Burning Man achieve its Sustainability goals.
- Read about sustainability projects underway at Fly Ranch, Burning Man Project’s 3,800-acre ranch in northern Nevada.
- The LAGI 2020 Fly Ranch Design Challenge was a multi-disciplinary design competition to select and build the foundational infrastructure of Fly Ranch. See the finalists.
- Land Art of the 21st Century: Land Art Generator Initiative at Fly Ranch is a new book showcasing 70 works of functional, regenerative art proposed for Fly Ranch.
- To get involved, email Burning Man Project’s sustainability team (sTeam) at sustainabilityburningmanorg (sustainabilityburningmanorg) .
Learn about Burning Man Project’s continuing work on Radical Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (R.I.D.E.):
- Burning Man Project’s R.I.D.E. Anti-Racism Pledge outlines goals and actions to advance an anti-racist stance, and to foster inclusion of marginalized communities.
- Burners of Color Resource Group in Burning Man Hive is a space for Burners who identify as BIPOC to connect and support one another.
- The Beloved Community Learning Series in Hive introduces the concept and practice of creating Beloved Community.
- Anti-racism courses in Hive are open to all who are interested in deepening their work around R.I.D.E.
- This Burning Man Journal post shares what we heard from BIPOC Burners at the 2020 Diversity and Radical Inclusion Town Hall.
- Read an overview of Burning Man Project’s Radical Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity work.
- To get involved, email href="diversityburningmanorg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">diversityburningmanorg.
What has your Burning Man experience taught you? Here are a few online resources for storytelling and information gathering:
- Burning Stories is an independent research project that documents personal takeaways from Burners’ experiences in Black Rock City and beyond.
- Burn Before Reading is an arts and literary magazine written for and by Burners.
- Stories from the City is a Burning Man Journal series that shares stories about Black Rock City, written by you!
- Here’s a comprehensive list of books about Burning Man
- The Jackrabbit Speaks newsletter shares bi-weekly news about Black Rock City and the Burnerverse.
- The Burning Man Journal is Burning Man Project’s blog, featuring stories and updates on all things Burning Man.
- ArtSpeaks is Burning Man Project’s artist storytelling series, featuring stories from a rotating cast of Burning Man artists. Watch recordings of all past ArtSpeaks episodes on Kindling.
- Global Activation Community Calls are a series of live, recorded conversations that highlight community projects from across the Burning Man network.
- Larry, A Burning Man Story chronicles the life and influence of Burning Man’s iconic founder.
- Pedacito de la Tierra, a heartwarming film co-created by Burners Without Borders and Alight, highlighting a global movement to create sustainable spaces of hope and refuge for people experiencing migration.
- Videos by Profiles in Dust, a dedicated group of filmmakers who document the community that makes Burning Man happen. Browse more than 50 short videos covering almost a decade of Burning Man culture.
- Videos from Burning Man’s early years. Dive into a veritable treasure trove of wild and weird videos from 1990s Black Rock City and countercultural happenings in the Bay Area.
- Burning Man LIVE podcast will introduce you to people who are creating and inspiring Burning Man culture around the world.
- Culturally Attuned is a podcast about working across cultural divides, co-created by the US Institute of Peace and Burning Man Project.
- Accuracy Third is a podcast collecting an oral history of Black Rock City.
- Into the Fire shares interviews with key figures and profiles of art projects.
- Radio Check podcast, from the Department of Institutional Memory, features Black Rock Rangers talking about their experiences in Black Rock City.
- Blueprints is an oral storytelling project documenting knowledge gained from being an active participant in Black Rock City.
- Burner Podcast features interviews and commentary on Burning Man culture.
- Share your Burning Man story with us (and maybe we’ll share it with the Burner-verse).
Roll Up Your Sleeves and Participate
Ready to put your learnings into practice? Here’s who to contact to get involved:
- Radical Inclusion, Diversity & Equity: diversityburningmanorg (diversityburningmanorg)
- Burners Without Borders: bwbburningmanorg (bwbburningmanorg)
- Sustainability: sustainabilityburningmanorg (sustainabilityburningmanorg)
- Fly Ranch: flyranchburningmanorg (flyranchburningmanorg)
- Volunteer for Burning Man Project and/or Black Rock City
- Support and create Burning Man art
- Find your nearest Regional Burning Man community