With so much of the world shifting to virtual platforms over the past year, it’s now possible to learn anything anywhere, anytime. And yes, that means there’s an online treasure trove of knowledge available to Burners — everything from training and mentoring gritty Burner skills, to learning about sustainability and Radical Inclusion, to conversations and storytelling that enrich your curious mind.
Level Up Your Burner Game
Learn about ways Burners are collaborating to make Black Rock City and Burning Man culture more sustainable and regenerative:
- The 2030 Environmental Sustainability Roadmap sets a 10-year timeline and targets for Black Rock City to sustainably manage waste, become carbon negative, and ecologically regenerative.
- The Green Theme Camp Summit gathered Theme Camp Organizers to explore and discuss how they can help Burning Man achieve its Sustainability goals.
- Read about sustainability projects underway at Fly Ranch, Burning Man Project’s 3,800-acre ranch in northern Nevada.
- The LAGI 2020 Fly Ranch Design Challenge was a multi-disciplinary design competition to select and build the foundational infrastructure of Fly Ranch. See the finalists.
Learn about Burning Man Project’s continuing work on Radical Inclusion, diversity and equity:
- Diversity & Radical Inclusion Town Hall learnings: An in-depth summary of what we heard and learned from BIPOC participants in the Diversity & Radical Inclusion Town Hall in February 2020.
- Read an overview of Radical Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity work in the organization.
What has your Burning Man experience taught you? Here are a few online resources for storytelling and information gathering:
- Burning Stories is an independent research project that documents personal takeaways from Burners’ experiences in Black Rock City and beyond.
- ArtSpeaks is Burning Man Project’s artist storytelling series, featuring stories from a rotating cast of Burning Man artists. Watch recordings of all past ArtSpeaks episodes on Kindling.
- Stories from the City is a Burning Man Journal series that shares stories about Black Rock City, written by you!
- Looking to start a Burning Man library? Dive into this comprehensive list of Burning Man writings.
- The Burning Man LIVE podcast will introduce you to people who are creating and inspiring Burning Man culture around the world.
- Share your Burning Man story with us (and maybe we’ll share it with the Burner-verse).
- Sign up for the Jackrabbit Speaks newsletter to receive bi-weekly news.
- Every week you can read new stories and updates on the Burning Man Journal.
Global Activation Community Calls are a series of live, recorded conversations that highlight community projects from across the Burning Man network.
- Ecosystem Activation: Year One Report- Environmental Sustainability Roadmap: Video, June 2020 (2 hours). Burning Man Project Staff and community members self-evaluate progress on the 2019 Environmental Sustainability Roadmap.
- Art Activation: Public Art from the Ground Up: Video, July 2020 (1 hour). Members of Burning Man Project’s Civic and Playa Art teams host a deep dive into the foundational elements needed to bring public art installations to life.
- Civic Activation: Running for Political Office: Video, September 2020 (1 hour 20 minutes). Burners Without Borders hosts a conversation with Burners who ran for political office.
How YOU Can Roll Up Your Sleeves and Participate
Ready to put your learnings into practice? Here’s who to contact to get involved:
- Radical Inclusion, Diversity & Equity: diversityburningmanorg (diversityburningmanorg)
- Burners Without Borders: bwbburningmanorg (bwbburningmanorg)
- Sustainability: sustainabilityburningmanorg (sustainabilityburningmanorg)
- Fly Ranch: flyranchburningmanorg (flyranchburningmanorg)
- Volunteer for Burning Man Project and/or Black Rock City
- Support and create Burning Man art
- Find your nearest Regional Burning Man community